We do not provide accommodation at Barnsley YMCA but a number of different organisations can provide support and guidance if you are in a housing crisis. Options include:
- Barnsley M.B.C Housing Department – Call (01226) 773870 (please note office hours are 10am to 5pm Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10.30am to 5pm Wednesdays, and 10am to 4.30pm Fridays). Or 08449841800 low cost call for out of hours homelessness emergencies. Call in person at one of our offices where we can make your an appointment to see an adviser or email email@example.com
- Shelter Line – homelessness charity Shelter offer a free phone national housing advice line on 0808 800 44 44.
- Citizens Advice – offers practical, impartial information online and at a local level.
- Samaritans – available to listen to you 24/7 on 08457 909090.
- Counselling Directory – Find a counsellor or psychotherapist in your area.
What to do if you are rough sleeping or see someone sleeping rough
We recommend you contact Streetlink – the rough sleeper referral service for England and Wales.
You can either call 0300 500 0914, visit the website www.streetlink.org.uk or download the app (Apple or Android). StreetLink will then be able to connect rough sleepers with local street outreach teams or other support in the local area. The service accepts calls from the public and self-referrals from current rough sleepers.
If you are immediately concerned about the health of a rough sleeper, dial 999 for the emergency services.
Is there information available in other languages?
Yes. The Citizens Advice has fact sheets on different topics, including employment and benefits, in a range of languages, including Polish, Czech, Chinese, Punjabi and Gujerati. Visit their website for more details
Barnsley Churches Drop-in Project
They can provide hot and cold food and drinks for the homeless and substance users in Barnsley.
Where to go: Addaction Building, John Street, Barnsley, S70 1LL
Date and Time
Monday 10am -12noon
Thursday 3pm -5pm
Friday 12noon – 2pm