We do not provide accommodation at YMCA Barnsley but a number of different organisations can provide support and guidance if you are in a housing crisis or have concerns about a rough sleeper. Options include:
- Barnsley M.B.C Housing Department– Call (01226) 773870 Or freephone 0808 196 3530 (9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.30pm Friday), out of hours you can phone (01226) 787789. Call in person at one of our offices where we can make your an appointment to see an adviser or email [email protected]
- Barnlsey Homeless Alliance – https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/barnsley-homeless-alliance/
- Shelter Line– homelessness charity Shelter offer a free phone national housing advice line on 0808 800 44 44.
- Streetlink – the rough sleeper referral service for England and Wales. You can either call 0300 500 0914, visit the website streetlink.org.uk or download the app (Apple or Android). StreetLink will then be able to connect rough sleepers with local street outreach teams or other support in the local area. The service accepts calls from the public and self-referrals from current rough sleepers.
If you are immediately concerned about the health of a rough sleeper, dial 999 for the emergency services
- Barnsley Churches Drop-in Project
They can provide food and drinks and support for the homeless and substance users in Barnsley.
Drop In Facility: Buckley Methodist Chapel, 21 Union Court Barnsley S70 1JN. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 7pm and 8pm.
- Citizens Advice– offers practical, impartial information online and at a local level.
Is there information available in other languages? Yes. The Citizens Advice has fact sheets on different topics, including employment and benefits, in a range of languages, including Polish, Czech, Chinese, Punjabi and Gujerati. Visit their website for more details
- Samaritans– available to listen to you 24/7 on 08457 909090.
Services Provided by YMCA Barnsley
Each weekday morning between 8.15am and 9.15am we offer:
- Hot drinks
- Clothes washing & drying service
- Referral service to BMBC Housing
We work closely with BMBC Housing and all services are subject to a joint BMBC/YMCA data forms being completed and passed to BMBC.
“The YMCA have been providing practical support to Barnsley’s rough sleepers, offering a warm shower, washing facilities, refreshments and food. They have been working collaboratively with BMBC housing options team, providing them with details of rough sleepers using their facilities. With this information BMBC support navigators (rough sleeper outreach team) have been going out to the YMCA to provide support & advice to the rough sleepers of Barnsley and working to find suitable accommodation promptly to divert rough sleepers off the streets.” Phil, BMBC Homeless Support.
Donations: To support our work with the homeless please go to:Donate